Set me right if I am wrong here

Run of the mill webmastery, if you've got questions, concerns, a vent that needs to be let off, feel free to post about it in here.

Moderators: vrocks, drocd, jdoughs

alphamonk

Set me right if I am wrong here

Post by alphamonk »

I use at least four criteria to determine if a site is worth trading links with. The first one is basically a Boolean but some of them are based on how I feel about the site and webmaster. I simply will not trade links with a site that is not indexed by Google and I think this tactic is sound.

My second criteria is how many pages does the site have. I will gladly trade links with a one page site if the site has some traffic exposure and a bunch of content on it. I would like you guys opinion on this strategy. I myself have plenty of single page TGP's that I am converting to blogs, tubes as fast as I can.

The third thing I look for is the amount of content on page. If the page has more links than content and the site is a one page site, I USUALLY deny the trade.

The forth thing I look at is does this person have any sites that are growing in page rank? I look forward in time and I hope all of my sites will eventually gain some or more page rank and trading links with a site that is just for outbound links is short sided trading in my opinion, but I admit I have traded links with a few sites that are basically outbound link pages but the webmaster has a few high ranking sites and I feel they will get around to getting links inbound to that site too.

Does any of this make sense to anyone but me or am I out in left field here?
vrocks

Re: Set me right if I am wrong here

Post by vrocks »

That is it in a nutshell!

About once every six months I go back and look at my trades... I might set something up using your criteria and it is like this:

My URL PR3 => His URL PR1 - My last update to the PR3 site last week, his to PR1 3 weeks ago.
His URL PR3 => My URL PR2 - His update PR3 2 weeks ago, mine PR2 1 month ago.

When I go back it is more like this:

My URL PR3 => His URL PR0 - My last update to the PR3 site last week, his to PR0 4 months ago.
His URL PR1 => My URL PR1 - His update PR3 3 months ago, mine PR1 2 weeks ago.

In this scenario I would inform them that I am canceling the trade. They are not taking this as seriously as I do so I see no reason in continuing the trade.

In less extreme cases I would leave them a message encouraging them to make some updates and might even give them some tips on how to make more cash from their blogs so they will want to take things more seriously.
Did I just do something for you? Consider making a donation to LinkSpun!
3xpreview

Post by 3xpreview »

I agree both of you guys. I also take into consideration Google PR, Alexa PR, the quantity and quality of content, the frequency of updates, and the feelings about the site and webmaster.

Unfortunately many of the sites here loose PR at every Google PR update because of they are "one-page-sites-with-a-lot-of-links-and-no content-update" sites and are created for collecting as many outbond links to other sites as they can. It's clear that these sites are created for this purpose and I also finish trades if it become worthless later. I take care all of my sites so it doesn't fair if the partner webmaster doesn't.
wind4me

Post by wind4me »

I have no idea why serious webmasters take pagerank into consideration so highly. Its just for enetertainment purposes, it has nothing to do with how well site does in serps. Nothing.
3xpreview

Post by 3xpreview »

It's just one of the 5-6 things which I usually take into consideration. Not the most important of course.
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

Pagerank is just one of many things...

For instance.. Lately a lot of German cam pages have become PR6. Obviously this is bullshit. I check the whois and the domain is 1 year old. I check the backlinks and there are perhaps 500 from PR 0 - 3 sites... No way the site should be PR6.

So now I know this guy is a douche bag and I should not trade with him. Had his web site been PR2 or 3 I might not have noticed the red flag and I might have traded with him to be screwed over later on...

So that is where PR made a big difference... Your highness.
Did I just do something for you? Consider making a donation to LinkSpun!