Google Traffic Peaks / Drops / updating WP Blogs

Run of the mill webmastery, if you've got questions, concerns, a vent that needs to be let off, feel free to post about it in here.

Moderators: vrocks, drocd, jdoughs

CarlosTheGaucho

Google Traffic Peaks / Drops / updating WP Blogs

Post by CarlosTheGaucho »

Have a couple static blogs, 18 of them so far, each related to a certain model, those are up for cca 2 months, will turn them into updated blogs that will be available for link trading.

It took about a month or two till about four of them started to receive, all of a sudden, cca 50 uniques a day from Google.

What I did is that I immediately updated all of them, and planning to continue so.

Yet with two of them the traffic dropped almost entirely, with two of them the traffic is more or less steady, and another one started to receive cca 50 uniques a day overnight with no updates (I reckon it takes time till the content gets properly indexed and "trusted").

The landing / entry pages for SE traffic were mainly the bio page and categories, not the actual post(s).

Using the XML Sitemaps WP plugin to notify the search engines regarding any new post.

Confused now about what exactly happened, can updating itself mess up your Google ratings?

Sure also have a static page build on WP that's still #9 for a certain very much niche term, for more than 8 months already, with practically no backlinks, just relevant domain name and relevant content.

Any thoughts on this?
redwhiteandblue

Re: Google Traffic Peaks / Drops / updating WP Blogs

Post by redwhiteandblue »

It is odd how Google does things. I started building a network of fake tubes a while back, I had two up and started a third, but didn't finish building it as something else more important distracted me. I've never finished it, it has no backlinks to it at all, yet Google is still sending it a good couple of hundred hits a day. You can bet that as soon as I do add any backlinks those will disappear.