LinkSpun's Crazy Linking Rules

Looking to push links to a site and want specific niches, site types, numbers, tld's etc, this is a good place to ask or look.

Moderators: vrocks, drocd, jdoughs

midlandsmaidens

LinkSpun's Crazy Linking Rules

Post by midlandsmaidens »

Hi guys,

First post here so sorry for it being a bit of a moan!

I'm referring to the crazy way that LinkSpun will only allow successful link trades if all the factors are correct according to the powers that be at LinkSpun.

On my website, we have a page dedicated entirely to links, which is where any links from LinkSpun will appear.

I've just been into my comments section on here, and there are messages saying that 'LinkSpun cannot see my links' - even though they are there - plainly for all to see - on our links page.

Our links will show the homepage of the resulting links, even though they are on our 'links' page.

So why does LinkSpun have such a problem with link trades that are linked to the homepage rather than the links page?

Personally, I don't really care about links coming back to our 'Links' page, as this is just 'dead weight'.

Surely any links should be verified by the site owner rather than LinkSpun as LinkSpun obviously cannot recognise a simple text link if it happens to be on the links page rather than the homepage?

From what initially seemed to be a great way to swap links with other website owners, LinkSpun have ruined all of this through their petty way of confirming active links.

I'll give it a week and see what happens, but it looks like I'll be closing my account on here at the moment.

Moan over, have a nice day!
Hincapie

Re: LinkSpun's Crazy Linking Rules

Post by Hincapie »

Its a feature, not a bug. Linkspun looks for the link on the specific page chosen...so What you do is:

midlands.com/links.html -> add that one, dont hide it - thus linkpartners can choose a link back from there and it will be found by the bot
midlands.com -> add it, but hide it - thus linkspartners cant choose a link from there, but you can choose to have your partners link to it
midlandsmaidens

So what you're saying is:

I can choose to add all my links as midlands.com, rather than midlands.com/links, just by hiding midlands.com?

I wasn't suggesting it was a bug within Linkspun, but that method is even crazier than my initial post!
Hincapie

Post by Hincapie »

No no ...

Say you have these links added:
midlands.com
midlands.com/links.html
uplands.com
toplands.com

You want links to toplands and midlands, but you dont want to link from them. So you hide toplands and midlands. When you have done this the rest of us can only see midlands.com/links.html and uplands.com -> so we can request links from those 2 but not from the hidden ones. But you can still request links to the ones you have hidden, whilst linking from the ones you have not hidden.
midlandsmaidens

I'm still none the wiser I'm afraid.

If the links are hidden, then how does another webmaster know what to link to?

And if it's a case of sending the webmaster ANOTHER message, asking him to link to the two hidden links, is that not defeating the object of a simple link exchange?

OR - do I get to choose which link the webmaster links to prior to him adding the links?

Either way, it's hardly the most intuitive way to run a link exchange system!
Hincapie

Post by Hincapie »

Just try it.

It is fairly intuitive when doing it.
midlandsmaidens

Super advice from Hincapie, and I was able to set up my first link exchange!

If all those link traders that wanted a link back from our website now wanted to get back in touch, we'll set up your links.

Thank you, Hincapie!
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

Maybe I should write a book?
Did I just do something for you? Consider making a donation to LinkSpun!
Lastmanstanding

Post by Lastmanstanding »

nobody needs a link from a site without any incoming links

@vrocks brings not enough profit :-)