When the software mess up the html code...

Minor and major release and bug fixes requests will be discussed in here. If something just don't work right, or feel right, fire away. We are listening.

Moderators: vrocks, drocd, jdoughs

fetishbank

When the software mess up the html code...

Post by fetishbank »

You may have already analyzed this matter... if not here is the point: I've got a couple of trades in error status because of "Incorrect anchor" (not on my side).

I had a look at the html code and I imagine that the software which generated the page splitted the anchor in two lines of text, and (here is the problem, probably) added some extra spaces... as far as I know this html syntax is correct, the graphical result is the same and there should not be problem with the indexing...

If you want to have a look... trade ID: 633852 and 685317
Jay de Vos, Webmaster of http://www.fetishbank.net/
vrocks

Re: When the software mess up the html code...

Post by vrocks »

fetishbank wrote:You may have already analyzed this matter... if not here is the point: I've got a couple of trades in error status because of "Incorrect anchor" (not on my side).

I had a look at the html code and I imagine that the software which generated the page splitted the anchor in two lines of text, and (here is the problem, probably) added some extra spaces... as far as I know this html syntax is correct, the graphical result is the same and there should not be problem with the indexing...

If you want to have a look... trade ID: 633852 and 685317
Your first trade seems to have corrected itself...

Your second trade is an issue with your anchor looking like this:
Fetish Bank Lesbians

Too many spaces... Copy and paste the source code into a notepad like editor. You will see that it has several spaces instead of one. What ever software you are using that is word wrapping your html did this. Not sure if it was your blog or if you copy and pasted this from something else. But you will need to remove those spaces. I noticed many of the other links on this page aren't word wrapped and are all on the same line. Make it look similar.
Did I just do something for you? Consider making a donation to LinkSpun!
fetishbank

Post by fetishbank »

vrocks wrote:Too many spaces... Copy and paste the source code into a notepad like editor. You will see that it has several spaces instead of one. What ever software you are using that is word wrapping your html did this. Not sure if it was your blog or if you copy and pasted this from something else. But you will need to remove those spaces. I noticed many of the other links on this page aren't word wrapped and are all on the same line. Make it look similar.
No idea how it happened. The link is not on my own site, it's on the other linkspun user's site. I'll pass the information to him. Hopefully he will share his feedback here so other people could avoid having a similar problem. Thanks for the help.
Jay de Vos, Webmaster of http://www.fetishbank.net/
theepiczone

Post by theepiczone »

For reference I found out that my Dreamweaver was causing this problem. Even though the link looked fine in a browser my editor stuck some extra spacing in. Usually this is fixed automatically, but this time it wasn't.

Not sure why this error occurred, but just letting people know it was an error with my web editor in case someone else has this issue.

My guess is I didn't notice because FireFox probably fixes it automatically, but I can't say that for sure.
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

Yeah... my example of the offending code sucked because the forum removes extra spaces... oops...

In reality it looked like a huge gap between the words made out of spaces.

Dreamweaver does this because browsers don't show multiple spaces unless they are coded at non-breaking spaces. Kind of retarded... So always clean up the code DW produces.
Did I just do something for you? Consider making a donation to LinkSpun!