Multiple sites on same IP Address

Hard links and their relation to SEO, methods and techniques, and resources welcome in here.

Moderators: vrocks, drocd, jdoughs

jomik12

Multiple sites on same IP Address

Post by jomik12 »

Ok, first of all let me just thank Linkspun and it's members for teaching me an ENORMOUS amount about what we all do here, and how much I continue to learn, and it seems the more I learn, the bigger my income gets, so thanks Linkspun community!.

Now my question; Most of my sites are "Add-on domains" and all on the same IP address. If I'm linking one to another ABCD like, am I spinning my wheels? Or if I'm trading ABCD with you guys, and I'm reciping on a site from the same IP, is this a bad thing?
vrocks

Re: Multiple sites on same IP Address

Post by vrocks »

jomik12 wrote:Ok, first of all let me just thank Linkspun and it's members for teaching me an ENORMOUS amount about what we all do here, and how much I continue to learn, and it seems the more I learn, the bigger my income gets, so thanks Linkspun community!.

Now my question; Most of my sites are "Add-on domains" and all on the same IP address. If I'm linking one to another ABCD like, am I spinning my wheels? Or if I'm trading ABCD with you guys, and I'm reciping on a site from the same IP, is this a bad thing?
It would seem that Google never actually used the class C distinction in its algorithms. However, they have stated in their patent that they do log this information so many webmasters have taken to using SEO style hosting where all of their sites are on different IP's.

I have seen networks all built on the same IP do very well. I have also seen link farms get found and banned from the index by making it so easy to find them all on the same IP...
Did I just do something for you? Consider making a donation to LinkSpun!
jomik12

Post by jomik12 »

Thanks for the reply. Seems that Google is always staying one step ahead of the webmasters. What I'm getting is that the less "SEO'd" a site appears, the more google likes it and gives PR to.
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

jomik12 wrote:Thanks for the reply. Seems that Google is always staying one step ahead of the webmasters. What I'm getting is that the less "SEO'd" a site appears, the more google likes it and gives PR to.
PR doesn't have anything to do with how a page looks. It only has to do with the PR of other pages that link into it and how many sites those pages divide their PR vote into.

Google for the proper scale, but it goes something like this:

PR7 links into you and you only. That alone can boost you to PR4
PR7 with 100 outbound links and one into you. That boost would be about the same as a PR2 site linking to you.
10 PR4 sites link only into you. They would only give you enough PR votes to make you a PR2.

You really should look at the scale though...

PR is only a piece of how Google decides to show you in the results... Google relies on many other factors far more than PR.
thelema

Post by thelema »

I work for a major SEO firm as my day job and do adult content production and blog creation in my free time for fun and some extra income. At my day job, we have some fairly major multinational corporate clients that have been significantly impacted by Penguin (to the point that it's seriously harming their business). It's such a big concern that we've actually been meeting with Google directly to discuss. They (obviously) didn't sit down with us step by step and talk us through how their algorithm does its magic, but they did give us some strong hints about what does or does not impact SERP positioning, domain authority, link authority, keyword authority, etc.

One thing I noticed a lot of when I started lurking on adult webmaster forums is that there's a lot of myths about SEO and what does or does not affect ranking. I can tell you from experience that it does not matter how many sites come from a single IP address. Google will still see them as separate sites. One major issue we actually have sometimes with larger sites is that Google will see separate subdomains on the same site as different sites, thus causing a splitting of domain authority.

Similarly, just because you have multiple sites in GWT/Analytics doesn't mean you can't point a link from several of those sites to a couple others. Google's ranking algorithm doesn't factor in whether or not two sites are owned by the same account holder.

That said, this does not in any way guarantee that Google won't look at these things in the future. It would still be wise to take precautions, such as using separate Google accounts for different sites when it comes to GWT and Analytics, but I wouldn't be too worried about multiple sites on the same IP address. Google knows that most site owners aren't major corporations with dedicated servers. They know that most websites are run by individuals on shared hosts. As such, I couldn't imagine they'd penalize the very content for which most people are searching.

Just my .02
Interested in SEO consulting? Send me a private message.
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

thelema wrote:I work for a major SEO firm as my day job and do adult content production and blog creation in my free time for fun and some extra income. At my day job, we have some fairly major multinational corporate clients that have been significantly impacted by Penguin (to the point that it's seriously harming their business). It's such a big concern that we've actually been meeting with Google directly to discuss. They (obviously) didn't sit down with us step by step and talk us through how their algorithm does its magic, but they did give us some strong hints about what does or does not impact SERP positioning, domain authority, link authority, keyword authority, etc.

One thing I noticed a lot of when I started lurking on adult webmaster forums is that there's a lot of myths about SEO and what does or does not affect ranking. I can tell you from experience that it does not matter how many sites come from a single IP address. Google will still see them as separate sites. One major issue we actually have sometimes with larger sites is that Google will see separate subdomains on the same site as different sites, thus causing a splitting of domain authority.

Similarly, just because you have multiple sites in GWT/Analytics doesn't mean you can't point a link from several of those sites to a couple others. Google's ranking algorithm doesn't factor in whether or not two sites are owned by the same account holder.

That said, this does not in any way guarantee that Google won't look at these things in the future. It would still be wise to take precautions, such as using separate Google accounts for different sites when it comes to GWT and Analytics, but I wouldn't be too worried about multiple sites on the same IP address. Google knows that most site owners aren't major corporations with dedicated servers. They know that most websites are run by individuals on shared hosts. As such, I couldn't imagine they'd penalize the very content for which most people are searching.

Just my .02
Finally somebody that gets it...
xlinklist

Post by xlinklist »

vrocks wrote:Finally somebody that gets it...
You are so right.
I have a whitelabel, hosted on the same ip with thousands of other whitelabels and i'm getting around 2.5k-2.8k visits/day from Google.
There were many telling me that i'm wasting my time trying to get high in SERPs with a site hosted on the same ip with so many other sites, but it seems like Google doesn't penalize this at all.
At least for now ...
Titleseo

Post by Titleseo »

I will suggest you adding unique content on your website. If your content is search engine friendly then it doesn't matter what the ip is. Google loves good content so consentrate on it.