Can You Still Make Money In Adult Blogging?

Run of the mill webmastery, if you've got questions, concerns, a vent that needs to be let off, feel free to post about it in here.

Moderators: vrocks, drocd, jdoughs

BabyBuns

Can You Still Make Money In Adult Blogging?

Post by BabyBuns »

Dear LinkSpunners,

I've been out of adult for a while. I used to blog a lot a few years ago, promoting programs. I made $500 a month tops.

I was promoting SpankBuxx, and those fuckers stopped paying their affiliates a long time ago. They still owe me $1500 I'll never see.

Luckily, SpankingDollars was still converting for me. But as of 2012, SpankingDollars has stopped converting completely as well.

You'll understand I'm a bit discouraged. But I wouldn't mind dedicating a few months to the adult affiliate biz again if I knew upfront there is still money to be made.

Who better to ask than you guys, amirite??

So let's say I pump out 50 x >100 word posts per day from monday to friday. Plus I link my sites up daily right here at LinkSpun...

What monthly income might I expect at the 3 month, 6 month and 12 month mark?

I need to know what I can realistically expect before I make the dedication.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
HowlingWulf

Re: Can You Still Make Money In Adult Blogging?

Post by HowlingWulf »

That's a pretty open ended question to nail down, especially after the latest big Google update. Anything anyone writes here would be just a guess.
Submit to OMG Sex Blogs!
BabyBuns

Post by BabyBuns »

HowlingWulf wrote:That's a pretty open ended question to nail down, especially after the latest big Google update. Anything anyone writes here would be just a guess.
Unless that person were to have real experience with living off adult blogs.

I'm interested in the opinions of people with real life experience and making a full time income.
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

The Google update has absolutely no bearing on whether or not your adult blog will do well. If it is well written and offers something to the surfer it will do well. If it is just a splog, it will suck no matter if the update happened or not. What is pushing blogs out are tubes. They are doing it by using a portion of the algorithm that was already in place before both penguin and panda. They are doing it by killing blogs in the amount of time a surfer stays on the site, the number of pages they load on the site and the lack of surfers bouncing from the site.
Did I just do something for you? Consider making a donation to LinkSpun!
BabyBuns

Post by BabyBuns »

Great insight there, vrocks.

It is indeed a common belief amongst internet marketers that Google is measuring bounce rates.

Tubes may have low bounce rates... but you know what the problem with tubes is, right?

1:50000 conversions!

A blog needs to invite the user to interact with it... and then it just might do well, even when competing against tubes!

I'm gonna think about this one for a little while! ;)
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

Actually on the conversions... Tubes are far better than that.

The ones that actually push the user to the sponsor who's video they are watching do more in the 1:500 to 1:3000 range. And that seems to fluctuate based on how long the video is. So even a 30 minute video will do 1:3000 if the surfer is given a change to join that site. But these tubes don't offer a premium HD package of their own. So basically they are handing that off to the site they are "stealing" from. And, that said, they are often working with the site in question so they are not stealing anything.

Tubes that don't match that up and have premium HD service get about as many users as the sites would have. Also they push dating/cams/pills on their own or via paid for advertising. The rates for these ads are insane. The conversion rates might be in the 1:50000, but if the tube has 3,000,000 daily viewers (not page views, actual unique surfers) then that is 60 sales for your ad a day... If your average sale is $70 that is millionaire status on that ad spot alone.
Did I just do something for you? Consider making a donation to LinkSpun!
BabyBuns

Post by BabyBuns »

Thanks for that, vrocks.

Do you have experience with blogging yourself?

I've always had trouble pushing blogs over the 1000 uniques per day mark, and even when I did I was disappointed with the revenue.

But then again... I'm a few years older and now I'm willing to work much harder at it.

So assuming 50 x >100 word posts 5 days a week plus link trading...

After that, I would expect all my 22 existing blogs to do >1000 per day and I'd expect at least $2000 in revenue monthly.

Are these expectations realistic?
anexsia

Post by anexsia »

vrocks wrote:The Google update has absolutely no bearing on whether or not your adult blog will do well. If it is well written and offers something to the surfer it will do well. If it is just a splog, it will suck no matter if the update happened or not. What is pushing blogs out are tubes. They are doing it by using a portion of the algorithm that was already in place before both penguin and panda. They are doing it by killing blogs in the amount of time a surfer stays on the site, the number of pages they load on the site and the lack of surfers bouncing from the site.
+1 that's very true...I do all adult blogging and my traffic has stayed steady with every Google update and some of my blogs even gained a large amount of traffic.

If you put effort into your blogs and make them decent, you'll do good like V-Rocks said.
BabyBuns

Post by BabyBuns »

Thanks for the feedback so far. You've given me very useful insights.

One more issue I'd like to discuss:

I want to build blog sites that people come back to and that people stay on for a while.

There are several ways you can build blogs. You can build blogposts with nothing but thumbnails, and you can build blogposts that show entire galleries.

I'm sure a visitor would stay longer on the latter than the former. But then again... if you're showing them too much content, he might not care to sign up for the site anymore.

It seems to me that there is a tradeoff here.

What exactly is a good formula for building a blog that people like and come back to?

Should there be a signup link in every single post?

How many images should it have minimally and maximally?

Any guidelines you guys care to give me?

Thanks in advance.
wind4me

Post by wind4me »

vrocks wrote:Actually on the conversions... Tubes are far better than that.

The ones that actually push the user to the sponsor who's video they are watching do more in the 1:500 to 1:3000 range.
Why do I work on my blogs where sponsors convert at 1:15.000 or 1:20.000 if I can build a tube and convert 1:500 or 1:3000. Not :)
Ps: my blogs has some semi blind links since users expect to see gallery or video and they actually see tour. So that explains high conversions.
wind4me

Post by wind4me »

But of course these tube numbers makes more sense when you know that not many people clicks sponsors links there. Meaning if 100 watches the video maybe only 3 of them click sponsor link. As opposed to blog post, if 100 opens a blog post at least 30 of them clicks the link.
So in tubes case mostly only those who intend to buy clicks sponsor links, rest of them just leech free vids. Thats why tube ratios are not that bad.
Bilinda

Post by Bilinda »

I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned the biggest part of making sales, the niches. IMO narrow niches make much better sales ratios than plain general ones. I would never touch the "normal" teen, babes and so on stuff, too many doing those.

I've been doing adult blogs full time for 6 years and making my living off them 5 years. I only pick narrow niches. I also don't think back links amount to a damn to be honest. Not anymore anyways. So yeah you can make money off blogs, but pick narrow niches.
onmaso

Post by onmaso »

You can always make money by selling posts in your blogs :)

so if You can't convert or you need extra money, there's always a way to earn.