FOOTER LINKS ...GET OUT!

Run of the mill webmastery, if you've got questions, concerns, a vent that needs to be let off, feel free to post about it in here.

Moderators: vrocks, drocd, jdoughs

seomedia

FOOTER LINKS ...GET OUT!

Post by seomedia »

Besides being a known prick, I also give tips in PM here on LS when asked for advice, but this is one for everyone: You have your site listed in a bunch of footers even if the sites where you're listed are Rank A or A1, get the fuck out of it. Manual bans have already started. With thus I will be terminating this and next week all footer link trades that I have here on Linkspun. I'm not sure (I'll have to look) but if I have any sites with footer links feel free to request removal and I'll take care of it right away!

Thanks for understanding.
wind4me

Re: FOOTER LINKS ...GET OUT!

Post by wind4me »

Why would somebody manually band legitimate site with legitimate footer links. Whys is 100 links in sidebar good, but 20 links in footer bad? In my eyes - 100 links in sidebar looks more spammy than 20 in footer.
major48

Post by major48 »

I'm no SEO genius and I'm still learning but tell me if I'm correct. We trade links for backlinks and SEO not traffic. So does it even matter where the link is placed? Google still counts its just the same as a link in the sidebar doesn't it?
wind4me

Post by wind4me »

major48 wrote:I'm no SEO genius and I'm still learning but tell me if I'm correct. We trade links for backlinks and SEO not traffic. So does it even matter where the link is placed? Google still counts its just the same as a link in the sidebar doesn't it?
Link weight is bigger if its posted to the top of the page. So footer link is not as good as link "upper" in the page.
webmasterx

Post by webmasterx »

suggest some of you go read up on googles advice for link schemes

for those of you that haven't already heres the link
http://support.google.com/webmasters/bi ... swer=66356
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

Lately buying posts has skyrocketed.
Did I just do something for you? Consider making a donation to LinkSpun!
webdanger

Post by webdanger »

Panic everyone...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
seomedia

Post by seomedia »

vrocks wrote:Lately buying posts has skyrocketed.
Shhhhhh!
blogstargirl

Post by blogstargirl »

Links above the fold...

some seo gurus place importance on this and others say it doesn't apply to CMSs like Wordpress, Joomla, TXP, etc., because the Google bots don't read the links widgets in an "above the fold" format. anyone w/opinions on this? I'd like to know once and for all where to place my links widgets, if it matters... (and, no, never in the footer)
webdanger

Post by webdanger »

Seo gurus....what is the difference between placing a link in the footer and placing it just above the footer?
deejay

Post by deejay »

webdanger wrote:Seo gurus....what is the difference between placing a link in the footer and placing it just above the footer?
Probably not a lot.

From what I'm seeing, sites with a bunch of links in a single block are being penalised, regardless of where that block of links sits on a page. And having a blog roll that repeats on every page is bad news for all concerned, regardless of where the blog roll is positioned.

Any domains that have been hit by the latest updates are probably tainted beyond recall now. If they don't have non-SEO traffic, they're dead in the water.
webmasterx

Post by webmasterx »

Google now sees footer links as spamy worthless links along with the links in your forum sigs,
links that sit under a title of link partner or similar text are also not good as G is looking at these links as paid for. Better off just using the standard Blogroll as a title for link partners.

Site wide links on blogs (sidebar) are ok as far as i am aware as long as their not under a title mentioned above and are not too numerous in quantity ie the less the better and preferably ordered and titled by niche!

so basically all those blogs out there that are stuffed with links are going to be worthless

this is just my initial thoughts take it as you find it and come to your own conclusions.
webdanger

Post by webdanger »

Links in big blocks being penalized have more logic, but not 100%, what if the site is a toplist or a site that posts offers to products as a link, or news pages to external big press sites? You kill some domain patterns that are usable to a very big part of the audience and that is not what google wants, he wants traffic and for us to PPC. Anything else is just speculations and as i learned from my experience, websites are unique, you cannot apply a seo strategy for many sites expecting the same outcome, it won't work, tried it tested it many many times.

Google rules are becoming useless, because serps changes have in many cases no logical reason and you simply can't expect to understand google algorithms, if you do, you will go mad and still not get 10% of what google does to our search listing. I am talking about the details that separates basic seo from advanced and perfection seo.

It still doesn't make sense to me and the footer thing is preposterous. In a few years sidebar will become the new footer and maybe content will be next? Sites with no links at all?

It's like people barricade themselves into their homes with no connection whatsoever, does it make sense?

But i guess seomedia knows more, he simply doesn't want us to know his secrets :D