Google launches disavow links tool

Run of the mill webmastery, if you've got questions, concerns, a vent that needs to be let off, feel free to post about it in here.

Moderators: vrocks, drocd, jdoughs

tushpusher

Google launches disavow links tool

Post by tushpusher »

link to article

I can see this tool being used against link traders here. You make a trade and they disavow the backlink.

I'm not sure there's a way to even check to see if your link has been disavowed either.
blogstargirl

Re: Google launches disavow links tool

Post by blogstargirl »

yeah I looked at the tool. you have to submit per link. so unless webmasters/webmistresses have a lot of time on their hands to "disavow" links or outsource this tactic to a cheap click shop, I don't see that it would be ultra likely to be abused.

I have a website that was tanked in the serp's due to some unknown keyword competitor sending it over 3,000 spammy links. over the past year or so, many of those links have naturally disappeared. would I have had the time to disavow 3,000 links? :|

google should have a way to recognize this type of backlink sabotage without making it something official that google can now track to webmasters/webmistresses on both sides of the disavowal.
webmasterx

Post by webmasterx »

i think you have grabbed the wrong end of the stick, this is just a service to ask G not to include certain links when calculating your ranking.
{G cannot delete any links on any website unless they own it}

EG, this link or links were placed by someone targeting me for negative seo purposes and i as a webmaster have no control over this please do not include the supplied list of links when calculating my ranking.

so if you or someone else has spammed xxxxx amount of blog comments or forums in the past G seems to be giving you the chance to discount said bad links.

thats partly how i see it anyway!
webmasterx

Post by webmasterx »

blogstargirl wrote:
google should have a way to recognize this type of backlink sabotage without making it something official that google can now track to webmasters/webmistresses on both sides of the disavowal.
kind of makes a mockery of googles previous statements regarding seo sabotage does it not, looks like they have taken a complete U turn on the subject.
tushpusher

Post by tushpusher »

blogstargirl wrote:yeah I looked at the tool. you have to submit per link. so unless webmasters/webmistresses have a lot of time on their hands to "disavow" links or outsource this tactic to a cheap click shop, I don't see that it would be ultra likely to be abused. .
You can upload a text file with multiple domains in it. So you can mass disavow a lot of sites not just one at a time. I could dump export all my trades and add them in 10 minutes.
tushpusher

Post by tushpusher »

webmasterx wrote:i think you have grabbed the wrong end of the stick, this is just a service to ask G not to include certain links when calculating your ranking.

EG, this link or links were placed by someone targeting me for negative seo purposes and i as a webmaster have no control over this please do not include the supplied list of links when calculating my ranking.

so if you or someone else has spammed xxxxx amount of blog comments or forums in the past G seems to be giving you the chance to discount said bad links.

Yes but this can give you the power to disavow legit back links made on here as well. You can make trades here and then disavow them. It could almost be like a nofollow link because your asking google not to count it in your ranking.
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

tushpusher wrote:
webmasterx wrote:i think you have grabbed the wrong end of the stick, this is just a service to ask G not to include certain links when calculating your ranking.

Yes but this can give you the power to disavow legit back links made on here as well. You can make trades here and then disavow them. It could almost be like a nofollow link because your asking google not to count it in your ranking.
You are completely missing the point of this tool.

If I make a trade with you I CANNOT DISAVOW MY LINK INTO YOU... I can disavow YOUR link into ME... Which wouldn't do me any good. I want your link into me to be considered.
Did I just do something for you? Consider making a donation to LinkSpun!
webdanger

Post by webdanger »

webmasterx wrote:
kind of makes a mockery of googles previous statements regarding seo sabotage does it not, looks like they have taken a complete U turn on the subject.
I stopped listening to google long time ago, have PPC and profit to goole in mind and thats how you can have an idea where things are going, everything they say its talk, not facts.

Vrocks nailed it.
webmasterx

Post by webmasterx »

webdanger wrote:
webmasterx wrote:
I stopped listening to google long time ago, have PPC and profit to goole in mind and thats how you can have an idea where things are going, everything they say its talk, not facts.

Vrocks nailed it.
I totally understand the uses for the tool, and in a way i agree with you google is going the way of ppc & profit but when 90% of your traffic comes via organic se you have to take into consideration what the bastards are doing with their algo and listen to what they say. one of the recent updates seems to be aimed at killing off low volume high competition adult related terms and replacing their serp results with youtube videos etc equating to more ppc adword ad revenues for them.

imo with google & matt cunts you just need to be able to read between the lines as it were and work out what their not telling you to stay one jump ahead.
webdanger

Post by webdanger »

Yes i agree, but i tend to do the opposite, it makes more sense to me. You will never understand their algorithms because they complicate it so much and make it so absurd that is incomprehensible to us. In fact i am sure they are doing their best to make controlled chaos so that the only viable way is the PPC, youtube just confirms my theory. So we need quantity and diversification and its probable that we will see an awkward and unexpected pattern in their logic.

They know everything and that makes it even more impossible to predict and change strategies accordingly.
webmasterx

Post by webmasterx »

personally i see google giving way to bing, yahoo etc for adult search terms, i have already seen a slight increase in traffic from both, just hope it continues!