mozRank is getting added

Run of the mill webmastery, if you've got questions, concerns, a vent that needs to be let off, feel free to post about it in here.

Moderators: vrocks, drocd, jdoughs

vrocks

mozRank is getting added

Post by vrocks »

It will take close to a month to finish.

One nice thing about it is that part of the script for adding it to the DB also checks sites to see if they resolve to an IP. If they do not it assumes they are dead (because every site MUST resolve to an IP) and marks them hidden. I will be adding this check to all other scripts which will allow LS to remove a lot of CRAP from the search results. On top of that it will allow the scripts to run faster since they can resolve an IP in under a second. It takes as much as 60 seconds for it to timeout the other way.

After this I will create something similar to the free hosts filter to notice when a site is no longer active by checking for key phrases used by parking pages for godaddy, sedo, etc... When it finds them it will mark them hidden so they cannot be seen in the search results. That will make then 98% pure I'd imagine.

Another idea is to stop trades on unresolved pages and then remove them from the system. Being that you won't see them anyway, I might leave them in... But stopping the trades on unresolved domains should be quite helpful to those that have lots of them outstanding.
Did I just do something for you? Consider making a donation to LinkSpun!
mcfester

Re: mozRank is getting added

Post by mcfester »

Great work Vrocks
abdl86

Post by abdl86 »

What special is this?
lauralace

Post by lauralace »

awesome! You rock as always!
Make Money in mainstream! I have been doing so since 1994 and can teach you about the huge differences between mainstream and adult. Mainstream marketing
mcfester

Post by mcfester »

I'm not familiar with the MozRank tool and what info it will show, but I recently installed Majestic seo plugin to Chrome and with one click it shows how many referring domains a page and domain has of a site, and the citation flow (link juice) of the page and domain, 0-100. One more click it opens site explorer for indepth look, sign up for free and get unlimited use for any domains, and full reports for your own domains, much better than Ahrefs and OpenSiteExplorer with their daily limit and results limits.

With MozRank being 0-10 I expect it will be just the same as PageRank. Unless if it shows the number of incoming referring domains to the actual page or domain, and depends on how the rank is qualculated. If it just shows most sites as MR0 it'll be pretty useless.

For example, a PR0 page with 10 incoming domains can have more link flow than a PR1/2 page with 5 incoming domains because of the amount of domains and the link flow passed from them domains. If the MozRank is a better indicator of referring domains and link flow than PR, the PR should be removed as most webmasters just take a look at the list of PR0 sites and deny the request.

When removing links this week you'd be surprised at how many sites I found on here that don't have one single incoming domain, which renders that link totally worthless. Alot of my sites are PR0 but every site has atleast 10 incoming domains. If we could see this info it will sift out the crappy links and also should encourage site owners to get incoming links to their sites and raise the quality of links overall on LS.

If everybody pulled their finger out and raised the quality of their feeder sites, more quality links would get traded thus increasing the overall quality of all the sites here, which in turn would mean less links required for ranking. Its a win win situation.

I see in another thread last year about hiding sites that show 0/0 internal/external links as they are most likely dead. If sites that have less than 10 incoming domains got hidden/suspended it would remove all the useless sites and prompt owners to build some links, win win again. Then after 6 months raise it to 20 and keep going untill 50. After couple of years we'll all have MozRank 10 sites :D
And then start suspending sites that have more than 50 OBL :shock:
mcfester

Post by mcfester »

I've just checked out the MozRank toolbar, pretty awesome tool, and consistent with Majestics scores.
I checked some PR1 sites with low domains and they do rank lower than PR0 with more domains, shows how crap PR is.
Looks like anything less than MR4 has got less than 10 domains, I only did a quick check though. Will be interesting to know what percentage of sites here are less than MR4 when its installed.
mcfester

Post by mcfester »

How is this coming on? Any nearer completion?
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

Data has been collected. I just need to code the displaying of it.
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

Also did some capturing of language data... and playing with filtering out languages... going to be nice.
mcfester

Post by mcfester »

Great work V, I'll drop a donation your way shortly :)

Will the mozRank have ongoing updates? It doesn't seem to take long for a new page to gain rank.
Hincapie

Post by Hincapie »

Brilliant additions all round by the sounds of it :)
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

I am working on the MozRank bot. With MozRank you can only do one request every 10 seconds. But.... you can package 10 requests into 1 request... making it so you can do a check every second. That means it can update weekly... 3 1/2 days to be closer to exact.
mcfester

Post by mcfester »

Cool, will be much better than the PR then
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

mcfester wrote:Cool, will be much better than the PR then
I have been using the Mozbar for a few days now and I have to say... it is pretty spot on...

I go through my own network of sites... I have hundreds... When I go to ones I know are PR3 and should be PR5 the Mozbar tells me 48 to 55 for DA on root domain.

When I go to another that is PR3, but should be PR1 it tells me 18 to 22.

When I go to a site I built in May and it should be PR2, and its a high quality site with traffic, the Mozbar tells me 32 and the Mozrank is 5.86. So basically I look at the numbers it spits out and they jive with what I know my sites should have. PR never really was very accurate of a metric.

I just went to the DB and looked up PR6 sites. I found one that Moz says is complete horse shit. It gets no traffic and is 15 on domain authority. Now I look up a TRUE PR6 and it is a great domain (bigtits.com) and it has a 58 for domain authority.

As you can see using Moz instead of PR you can quickly tell a bullshit domain from a good one. It is 1000 times harder to trick Moz because it pulls from a few metrics for the overall score whereas PR pulls from 1.
mcfester

Post by mcfester »

Great, all my sites are PR0 but mozrank 4+ so hopefully can get some better quality trades instead of people just denying cos they are obsessed with PR.
webmasterx

Post by webmasterx »

Does this mean that PR will be totally dropped from LS? It has not been publicly updated by gewgle for nearly a year making it imo redundant.
webmasterx

Post by webmasterx »

webmasterx wrote:Does this mean that PR will be totally dropped from LS? It has not been publicly updated by gewgle for nearly a year making it imo redundant.
That said it would seem there is a PR update rolling out right now!
mcfester

Post by mcfester »

Never believe a word that Matt Cunts says :lol:
http://searchengineland.com/googles-mat ... ear-173676
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

Added on the Find Trades. I will add it to the trades_request page next.
mcfester

Post by mcfester »

The request button seems broken in Chrome, its on two lines even though theres enough room for it on one line.
Will you be adding it on manage pages so we can see how our own sites fair?
Great stuff, the front page donation message must of done the trick eh? :)
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

It paid for about 1/2 an hour ;)

Try hitting shift+F5 to reload the CSS file. That should fix it.

I will be adding it to more sections as time permits. Only so much you can do in a half hour.
mcfester

Post by mcfester »

Lol, only I donated then? :shock:
Ctrl F5 cleared it, cheers.
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

mcfester wrote:Lol, only I donated then? :shock:
Ctrl F5 cleared it, cheers.
Programmer rate, not admin.

As for xtrade I am going to let it sit there and hopefully people will use Mozranks to notice his site is bullshit or seems like it.