Google Kills the Keyword tool

Hard links and their relation to SEO, methods and techniques, and resources welcome in here.

Moderators: vrocks, drocd, jdoughs

major48

Google Kills the Keyword tool

Post by major48 »

Just wanted to know some of the pro's opinion on Google killing the Keyword tool. Ive seen some articles where people are saying that they were pissed. I just don't understand why they can't offer both the Keyword Tool and Planner.
blogstargirl

Re: Google Kills the Keyword tool

Post by blogstargirl »

No likey. The Google Adwords Keyword Planner UI is wack. Much of the critical data is based on "estimates". The move will potentially make Google more $ from Adwords revenue (of course!) while suppressing the data that KW spammers and stuffers had instant access to. The subtext of the move? IMO Google is emphasizing that keyword based SEO is not the model to follow, overall they want WMs to forget about SEO.
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

And make me have to open my own cam sites?
Did I just do something for you? Consider making a donation to LinkSpun!
major48

Post by major48 »

blogstargirl wrote:The subtext of the move? IMO Google is emphasizing that keyword based SEO is not the model to follow, overall they want WMs to forget about SEO.
And that is what kinda pisses me off. They don't want you to worry about SEO and make it harder and harder for you to keep up with their changes but If I you didn't worry about SEO and just focused on making a great site what you would end up with is this totally awesome site that nobody would ever see. Am I incorrect in thinking that?
ShokAIM

Post by ShokAIM »

major48 wrote: And that is what kinda pisses me off. They don't want you to worry about SEO and make it harder and harder for you to keep up with their changes but If I you didn't worry about SEO and just focused on making a great site what you would end up with is this totally awesome site that nobody would ever see. Am I incorrect in thinking that?
you're 100% right about that :) :lol: , and regarding the keyword tool , bing offers an alternative 8-)
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

Something that is really fucked up is that there are certain industries build on the affiliate model. Google doesn't give a shit about killing them in favor of hurting the completely black hat SEO people. There is a lot of money that could have been being made, but Google is fucking it all up... And I can't see a good reason why other than they have lost their focus on not doing evil.
mcfester

Post by mcfester »

What is best practice these days? Links from here don't seem to work well anymore, and I recently did a test with handwritten blog post and links that is totally fucked up.
I made this 500 word handwritten post http://www.primebreasts.net/2013/09/win ... niversary/
and linked to it from facebook, youtube and several of my own blogs on different IP's like this http://www.bigbuttbutts.com/a-great-sit ... -and-vids/
After a couple of weeks when searching for the full post title https://www.google.com/search?q=Win+One ... e&ie=UTF-8 , youtube is top followed by facebook and a couple of the blog posts linking to original article was in top twenty, the original article wasn't in the serps of 300 results but when you clicked "repeat the search with the omitted results included" it was in the top twenty.
Now after about one month its not even in the omitted results and the posts linking to it have gone also, but theres plenty of scraper sites in the results.
WTF am I doing wrong?
blogstargirl

Post by blogstargirl »

mcfester wrote:What is best practice these days? Links from here don't seem to work well anymore, and I recently did a test with handwritten blog post and links that is totally fucked up.
I made this 500 word handwritten post http://www.primebreasts.net/2013/09/win ... niversary/
and linked to it from facebook, youtube and several of my own blogs on different IP's like this http://www.bigbuttbutts.com/a-great-sit ... -and-vids/
After a couple of weeks when searching for the full post title https://www.google.com/search?q=Win+One ... e&ie=UTF-8 , youtube is top followed by facebook and a couple of the blog posts linking to original article was in top twenty, the original article wasn't in the serps of 300 results but when you clicked "repeat the search with the omitted results included" it was in the top twenty.
Now after about one month its not even in the omitted results and the posts linking to it have gone also, but theres plenty of scraper sites in the results.
WTF am I doing wrong?
you're not doing anything "wrong". google's algorithm has changed. social signals (social media) are much more heavily weighted in the algo.
ShokAIM

Post by ShokAIM »

that's fucked up ... those who already make billions will make even more and those who make a few bucks will make even less ...
major48

Post by major48 »

blogstargirl wrote: you're not doing anything "wrong". google's algorithm has changed. social signals (social media) are much more heavily weighted in the algo.
Well I have a tube twerkflix.com and I have been tweeting each one of the videos from my twitter with over 14k followers and getting some traffic but not much at all. About a month ago I bought a bunch of blog posts and back links but that seemed to do nothing at all for me
webdanger

Post by webdanger »

From what i've seen, google has encouraged blackhat practices. The only sites that are up, at least in the adult industry are spammy sites with millions of crappy links from important/non related websites. Top that with redirects and social shares and you got yourself the cream on top...at least until the next update.

Thing is there is no such thing as mom and pop website with clean content and white hat practices, google will slam you like a motherfucker.
mcfester

Post by mcfester »

Do you guys still target exact match keywords? I think google is moving away from using exact match anchors, maybe thats why they killed keyword tool?
On the blog post I did above, I used the post title as the anchor on most of the links [free one years membership to Playboy Plus for the Playboy Magazine 60th Anniversary] or very similar anchor, so if you search exactly that text it not in the serps, but if you search [win playboy plus] which is what the post is about, its in the top ten.
I did a similar test with some model names that the posts where already in the serps but not ranking well.
I used exact match anchors [model name nude], long tail anchors [check out model name nude pics at domain.com], domain with stop words [check her out at domain.com] and just the domain as anchor.
On all the results when searching for [model name nude], the long tail anchors did best, and the exact match anchors dropped in serps.
Any of you guys done similar tests to see whats best methods?
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

Think of it this way...

Mom and pop used to get Google love for "solar pool covers in ohio" and now they are below:

Walmart
Target
Sears
Intex Pool Supply
etc
etc
etc
etc

and they are now on page 3.

So now they have to buy some Adwords ads to be back at the top.

It was a business decision. They weren't making the engine better. They were making slow increments of people have to buy more ads... 1.3% of the results at a time... Add up 2 years of updates every 3 months and you get 10.4% more ads sold with everyone not bitching much because it was only effecting 1.3% at a time.
webdanger

Post by webdanger »

Very smart assessment!

I knew all along it was for adwords, but this is the beginning of the end i assume.