Dofollow Vs nofollow Question

Hard links and their relation to SEO, methods and techniques, and resources welcome in here.

Moderators: vrocks, drocd, jdoughs

RickDiculous

Dofollow Vs nofollow Question

Post by RickDiculous »

Does matter SEOwise if the outgoing links to paysites or galleries are Dofollow or nofollow?
absolute

Re: Dofollow Vs nofollow Question

Post by absolute »

I normally add nofollow to all fhg and affiliate links...
Not sure if it is good or bad...
mikecam

Post by mikecam »

Good question. I "nofollowed" all my aff-links a long time. But nowadays, i just dofollow all links, i don´t mask, hide or redirect them. Putting nofollow tags on your site is a clear indicator for big G that you care about linkjuice and SEO. Thats why i don´t do it anymore. And, i have had quite a few sponsor pages, FHG and such (with my NATS / aff code) ranking on google since then. You wouldn´t believe how well they convert :D

The less your site reeks of SEO, the better. For instance, i also use a lot of slightly crappy anchors, lets say the pages name is "big boob babes" i would use stuff like "hot girls naked" and "free tit pics". Google is not dumb, they are getting better every day.

So, i´d say: No, don´t nofollow them.
Relentless

Post by Relentless »

No Follow does have some uses, particularly when you want to link to pages with content you are not trying to rank for in any way. A good example is the 2257 compliance link on a paysite. If you own a paysite, you do need to have a 2257 compliance page and link to it from your main site... but you don't want to rank for any of the terms and text found on that page. So setting that link as 'no follow' lets the engines know it's a page you need, but not one that is particularly relevant to the content of your site and the audience it seeks to reach.
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

Relentless wrote:No Follow does have some uses, particularly when you want to link to pages with content you are not trying to rank for in any way. A good example is the 2257 compliance link on a paysite. If you own a paysite, you do need to have a 2257 compliance page and link to it from your main site... but you don't want to rank for any of the terms and text found on that page. So setting that link as 'no follow' lets the engines know it's a page you need, but not one that is particularly relevant to the content of your site and the audience it seeks to reach.
This is exactly what I use nofollow for... Expanding that out, I don't want to be indexed for a lot of things, nor do I want to have an association with everything I link to... Perhaps I link to a counter or some shit... stuff like that gets no link juice.
Did I just do something for you? Consider making a donation to LinkSpun!
Sexgenoten

Post by Sexgenoten »

My affiliate site has quite a few links to landing pages of paysites. Should or shouldnt i use a nofollow on those links?

Atm, im using nofollow but reading more about it, im not sure i should.
blogstargirl

Post by blogstargirl »

See mikecam's post above, I think he said it the best.

Use the opportunity to insert keywords using alt="" within your link tags.
vrocks

Post by vrocks »

Relentless wrote:No Follow does have some uses, particularly when you want to link to pages with content you are not trying to rank for in any way. A good example is the 2257 compliance link on a paysite. If you own a paysite, you do need to have a 2257 compliance page and link to it from your main site... but you don't want to rank for any of the terms and text found on that page. So setting that link as 'no follow' lets the engines know it's a page you need, but not one that is particularly relevant to the content of your site and the audience it seeks to reach.
quoted for truth
Did I just do something for you? Consider making a donation to LinkSpun!
Mindoro

Post by Mindoro »

Nofollow has only one reason to mark links as untrusted links! When i remember the right was there is no linkjuice upgrade for the rest links

But what you do in that way you show google that you are a professional webmaster who try to push links and take care on his linkjuice. Beside Google follows even the nofollow links and spiders them.

This was written in matcutts blog http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/pagerank-sculpting/

If you don´t like impressum sites spidert you have to give them the noindex tag

<meta name="robots" content="noindex">

Regards Mindoro